Undergraduate education to be offered in English; students assigned to labs to engage in innovative research from their first year
Shibaura Institute of Technology will offer a new “Innovative Global Program” from October 2020 at its College of Engineering, which provides undergraduate education in English.
The program will offer research-based learning projects – which have hereto only been offered to students working on graduation research projects – to students for four years, with the aim of developing human resources who can deal with the rapid advancement of technological innovation and globalization in the world. It is particularly important for students to brace themselves for changing times, exemplified by the formation of innovative academic fields fusing several science and engineering domains.
Under the guidance of a supervisor and several advisers from different fields of specialization, the students will engage in cutting-edge research at different laboratories.
- All lectures and research activities will be conducted in English, and students will obtain a bachelor’s degree
- This is an honors program which allows students to engage in cutting-edge research under the guidance of a supervisor and advisers.
- Students will obtain interdisciplinary knowledge in different fields in the program, which will flexibly deal with interdisciplinary domains in tandem with the advancement in technology.
Guided by faculty from 12 countries
Multinational teaching staff will provide diverse educational and research environments, helping develop human resources who can spark innovation.
All students make presentations at international conferences
Students will set a goal of conducting a presentation on their research results at an international conference at least once during their course of study.
Name of program : Innovative Global Program of College of Engineering
Bestowed degree : Bachelor of Engineering
Admission capacity : 9 students
Developing human resources capable of exerting leadership in a globalized society and of solving increasingly complicated science and engineering problems.
Capabilities to be developed
|Comprehensive viewpoints||Broad knowledge in science and engineering fields and capability to make judgments from comprehensive viewpoints|
|Diversity||Capability to understand, respect and accept diversity in the international community and to take concerted or cooperative action|
|Ethics||Capability to make judgments and take action based on the ethical standards of engineers who are committed to making a contribution to society|
|Leadership||Capability to lead a team to solve problems|
|Social contribution||Capability to solve various global problems in order to create a sustainable society|
Click here to visit the Innovative Global Program website (available in English)
Distinctive feature 1
Advanced curriculum: All lectures taught in English
SIT aims to become a model in a new era of science and engineering education by offering advanced curricula which will not merely be an English version of the previous subjects.
- Subjects for innovative engineering research: Conducting proactive learning through research-based learning projects for four years
- Introductory subjects in innovative engineering: Learning about innovative research in broad engineering fields from lower grades to spur interest in engineering at an early stage and develop comprehensive viewpoints
- Specialized subjects: Learning necessary subjects, while conducting research
- Basic mathematics and information technology subjects/ Acquiring the ability to think from the viewpoint of mathematics, physics and chemistry as well as develop skills in the field of information technology
- Liberal arts subjects (languages/humanities and social science/health and physical education): Learning about engineering ethics and diverse cultures and acquiring the skills necessary to inform society of the results of their research
Distinctive feature 2
Engaging in innovative research for 4 years through lab rotation
Students will engage in innovative research at a supervisor’s laboratory under the guidance of teachers or graduate students.
Students will acquire broad knowledge and comprehensive viewpoints through a lab rotation system, in which they will conduct research at laboratories of different fields of specialization for about two months each.
Students will play a leading role, along with the graduate students, in conducting research at a laboratory as part of their graduation research project
Students will make a presentation at an international conference, along with their classmates and the graduate students.
In 2018, the government revised the Standards for Establishment of Universities to allow universities to set up a “Program System” at engineering departments. The move is aimed at making it easier for universities to offer specialized education that transcends the fields of specialization, instead of providing students with an in-depth education in only one fixed department. The new system can better respond to technological innovation.
Shibaura Institute of Technology will set up the Innovative Global Program at its College of Engineering to develop human resources capable of responding to the high pace of technological innovation and globalization in the world as well as the emergence of innovative fields that fuse several science and engineering domains.
The program will accept students from around the globe: targeting high school graduates from Japan and abroad, including international high schools and those providing advanced international education in Japan. Students are expected to advance to the graduate level. After entering adult society, they are expected to become leading researchers in their fields: leading engineers in the research and development teams of manufacturers and private companies, or entrepreneurs who can launch business ventures to bring innovations to society.