- Dr. Masafumi NAKAGAWA is an Associate Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering, in the College of Engineering, Shibaura Institute of Technology, Japan. He holds a PhD degree in 3D urban data generation and revision from Tokyo University. Between 2005 and 2009 he was a researcher at AIST (National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology) in Japan. He teaches courses in Geoinformatics including Surveying, Photogrammetry, remote Sensing, GIS, GNSS and 3D modeling. He is a member/co-member of the committee of Japan Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (JSPRS), Association for Real-time Imaging and Dynamic Analysis (ARIDA), The institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan (IEEJ), and the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS) WG IV/7, etc. His research interests are in stereo vision, point cloud processing, indoor-outdoor seamless positioning and autonomous robots.
- Geoinformatics combines various arts, techniques and systems, such as surveying, Photogrammetry, laser scanning, remote sensing, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), and Geographic Information Systems (GIS). We focus on Geoinformatics to support and improve infrastructure management, urban planning, transport network planning and management, location-based service, disaster management, environmental modelling, land use management, agriculture and archaeological reconstruction for construction companies, data scientists and decision makers. In particular, our main topics are 1) urban mapping and 3D modelling using aerial images, aerial laser data and vehicle-borne Mobile Mapping Systems (MMS) data, 2) disaster urgent monitoring and frequent infrastructure monitoring using a drone, terrestrial laser scanner, wearable devices, and satellite sensors for Building/Construction Information Modelling (BIM/CIM), and, 3) indoor-outdoor seamless modelling, positioning, and navigation for location-based services and archaeological reconstruction.
- Surveying, Photogrammetry, Laser scanning, Remote sensing, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), Geographic Information Systems (GIS), 3D modeling, Indoor 3D, Civil engineering, Construction Information Modeling (CIM), Building Information Modeling (BIM), Robotics, Unmanned Aerial Veihcle (UAV), Mobile Mapping System, Mobile Interface, Augmented Reality
- Applied Surveying
- Surveying Practice
- Geoinformatics for Spatial-Infrastructure Development
- Practice in CG/CAD
International / Domestic Societies
- the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS), Japan Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (JSPRS), Association for Real-time Imaging and Dynamic Analysis (ARIDA), The institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan (IEEJ), Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE)