- May 2015 to the present Professor, Department of Architecture and Environment Systems, College of Systems Engineering and Science, Shibaura Institute of Technology
- April 2013 - March 2015 Assistant Professor, Faculty of Humanities, Musashi University, Tokyo, Japan
- April 2012 - March 2013 Lecturer (part-time), Faculty of Social Sciences, Wasede University, Tokyo, Japan and Faculty of Liberal Arts, Tsuda College, Tokyo, Japan
- April 2010 - March 2012 Assistant Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences, Wasede University, Tokyo, Japan
- April 2008 – March 2010 Lecturer (part-time), The Centre for Liberal Arts, Meiji Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan and other universities
- September 2002-April 2007 Department of History, Royal Holloway, University of London, (UK), PhD Course
- Doctor of Philosophy (History) (University of London, 2007)
Research Field: Design history, the history of furniture and domestic interiors, the history of material culture (especially 18th- and 19th- century England)
Design, housing, furniture, domestic interiors, material culture
- English for Science and Technology
- International History of Design (From the 2016 academic year)
- Environmental Studies (From the 2016 academic year)
- and others
- Akiko Shimbo, Furniture-Makers and Consumers in England 1754-1851: Design as Interaction (Ashgate Publishing, UK, 2015) (ISBN:9780754669289).
- A. Tavidze (ed.), Progress in Economics Research, Vol. 26 (Nova Science Publishers, New York, USA, 2012) (ISBN:9781619429819), pp. 173-184, Chapter 9, Akiko Shimbo, ‘Consumer Demand and American Furniture-Makers in the 1840s-1880s: Voices of Purchasers’.
- K. Kondo and M. Taylor (eds), British History 1600-2000, Expansion in Perspective: Proceedings of the Sixth Anglo- Japanese Conference of Historians (Institute of Historical Research, London, UK, 2010) (ISBN:9781905165605), pp. 237-245, Akiko Shimbo, ‘Two Groups of Readers: “Interactive” Use of Furniture Pattern Books in England, c. 1750-1850’.
- H. Hackney, J. Glynne, and V. Minton (eds), Networks of Design Proceedings of the 2008 Annual International Conference of the Design History Society (UK) (Universal Publishers, Florida, USA, 2009) (ISBN: 9781599429069), pp. 492-497, Akiko Shimbo, ‘Networks for the Design Process: Furniture-Makers and Consumers in England, c.1750-1850’.
‘Life, Death, and Furniture-Makers: Services for London Houses, c.1810-50’, The London Journal: A Review of Metropolitan Society Past and Present (UK), Vol.33, No.2, 2008, pp. 119-134.
Akiko Shimbo, ‘Pattern Books, Showrooms and Furniture Design: Interactions between Producers and Consumers in England, 1754-1851’ (University of London, 2007).
International / Domestic Societies
- Royal Historical Society (UK)
- and others