About Mechanical EngineeringThis general field could be described as the foundations of engineering. Research covers the manufacturing of everything from cars and robots to equipment used in the energy, aerospace, medical care, and social welfare industries. Basic science is emphasized while making an effort to include related engineering fields in the course mix and to achieve harmony with people and society.
Research DomainSpace, aviation, cars, engines, railroad systems, machine tools, nanotechnology, composites, alloys, lasers, energy conversion, fuel cells, co-generation, biotechnology, medical care, medical engineering, gene therapies, cellular engineering, blood vessels, ecology, biometric data, environment
Handling Solutions for Granular Materials -Development and Numerical Analysis-
This laboratory investigates the dynamics of granular materials and develops novel granular handling equipment such as a separator of foreign objects in dried foods, granular dampers and so forth.
- Separator of foreign objects in dried foods
It is very difficult to remove small foreign objects in dried foods such as lettuce or cabbage. The reason is that foreign objects are so small that they disappear behind the foods. Also, foreign objects become attached to the food owing to electrostatic forces. Our novel separator makes it possible to remove foreign objects in dried foods. The separator consists of an inclined rotating drum and a cylinder fixed at the center of the drum. The principle of the separation is based on the difference in the charging characteristics and weights of the food and foreign objects. It is possible to obtain high purities and recovery rates.
For further information of our research, please visit our website.
Objectives in Education and ResearchThe vision of the Department of Mechanical Engineering is to “develop internationally recognized mechanical engineers, indispensible to both society and industry”. The department is committed to develop individuals with following skills:
- Ability to analyze complex problems by exploiting the knowledge and the skills gained in the mechanical engineering field, as well as applying such skills to “manufacturing”.
- Having a strong sense of social and ethical responsibility dedicated towards “manufacturing”, taking into consideration the relationships between society and the environment.
- Communication skills necessary to promote and defend ones decisions and opinions in a clear and articulate manner, whilst being attentive to others’ opinions in order to reach a mutual understanding.
- Self-motivation to continuously learn by exploiting the information environment with a real interest in the pursuit of technological issues.